- Functioning as a forum for the discussion of environmental issues affecting Lake Vänern and the dissemination of information about the lake
- Carrying out surveys of the lake and its waters
- Reporting and evaluating the results of environmental monitoring
- Formulating environmental objectives and proposing measures to be taken where these are needed; and also, where necessary, initiating further surveys
- Disseminating information about environmental conditions affecting the lake and about current environmental issues
- Producing information about the lake that is easily accessible
- Organize a group for collective local administration of fish and fisheries in lake Vänern
- Co-operating with other organisations with a view to sharing experience and making our work more efficient.
Every year the Society organises a Vänern Day and produces an annual report about the lake. On Vänern Day a number of speakers report on the latest results of environmental monitoring and on current environmental issues affecting the lake.